Monday, January 18, 2010

LEFT OF THE DIAL, VOL. 7


Happy Monday (if there is such a thing!) to you all. After a quick flight, I got all checked in last night. Of course, not before I made a slight detour to hit the raised floor to work on some equipment. I made pretty quick work of it all, and then headed to my hotel. Usually, I would be watching something like Cartoon Network, but instead, I did something I haven't done in years. I watched the Australian Open.

Growing up, I used to watch tennis all the time. It seems like yesterday watching all those great matches between McEnroe and Borg. That was some of the best tennis ever. I remember I was a HUGE McEnroe fan...the rebel in me like that fact he did what he wanted, damn the consequences. My sisters, of course, were Bjorn Borg fans. We would sit around and argue who was the better player, screaming at the little TV set we had. It was good times.

But tonight I watched a match between a couple Russian women, Maria Sharapove and Maria Kirilenko. What a fantastic match. But here's the thing...women tennis players are SO much better looking than they were in the 80's. I mean, Chris Everett was considered cute, but I never thought so. Tracey Austin? Face for radio. Martina Navrilatova? Seriously, great player, but no beauty queen. So today's women's game is great fun to watch, and great fun to look at. Don't take that the wrong way...I respect the daylights out of these athletes. Tennis players are some serious athletes. I know I've pretty much been able to excel at any sport I've ever tried...pool, table tennis, glof, bowling, football, basketball...hell, I was even a pretty decent team handball player in high school (we only played in gym class...but man, I seriously love that game!), but tennis is a sport no matter how hard I try, I just could never make it work. Ever. So hats off to these women...the are not just beauties, they are some world class athletes!










2 comments:

Retro Hound said...

I wish they'd used Istanbul instead of Ana Ng. The Church should have been much more popular.

Anonymous said...

Heya DJ Info....if it wasn't for Retrohound coming by to pay me a visit at Rave and Roll, I wouldn't have known you were back up and running. Good luck in your new home!

Post a Comment