Tuesday, January 26, 2010

40 YEARS OF UNDERGROUND MUSIC, VOL 2


I arrived after a relatively event-less day, stopped into the office for a couple hours, basically to shoot the shit with some co-workers. Now, here is the interesting part. I normally would have started right in doing work and probably would have worked until late, grabbed something fast on the way to the hotel, and then worked some more until I went to sleep. But not since I applied for that job on Friday. I actually feel freer that I have in a long time, and instead, stayed at work for a little bit, didn't really do much, and then left.

Instead of grabbing something fast, I decided to grab a bite at Old Chicago, a place I really love to eat at, but usually am to busy to stop. So I drop in, and order up my usual local favorite, Sawtooth Ale. Here's where it gets even weirder. Instead of CO2, they are using nitrogen on tab. Now, outside of Guinness, which I don't really like, and hardly ever drink, I've never had a regular beer using a nitrogen tap. I'm not sure if I like it better or not. It was just an odd way to drink a beer. It had no bubble (actually it did, just very tiny ones) and the head was different (that's what she said!), and it seemed creamier and lighter. Anyway, I thought it was an odd experience. I may have to go back tomorrow night, and try it again, just to make up my mind once and for all. And if that doesn't work, I guess I'll go back Wednesday night as well!

Pere Ubu - Laughing








Pixies - U-Mass








Sonic Youth - Silver Rocket








Built To Spill - The Plan








Placebo - Come Home






2 comments:

Retro Hound said...

Sorry man, I just can't get into Pere Ubu. I know they're one of your home state bands and all. I like all the others. Well, the Sonic Youth is ok, but that's all I'll give it. The Built to Spill is really cool and I hadn't heard it before.

Jim said...

Pere Ubu isn't for everyone, for sure. It seems that all the big acts love Dave Thomas. I can take him in small doses...songs like Final Solution are brilliant.

Sonic Youth, with the exception of a few songs, I really can't stand, and really don't see why they are revered so much. But you know, people love em, and in the 80's, they were hugely influential.

The Plan is an amazing song from an amazing album...Keep It Like A Secret is such an amazing album, one of my favorite albums. It's one of the 5 or 6 that have always been on my iPod.

Post a Comment