Sunday, January 17, 2010

GREAT POST PUNK HITS, VOL. 1


Last night I was sitting talking with my lovely wife about various things, when the conversation somehow turned to what I used to watch on television growing up in Northeast Ohio. I can still remember some of my favorites. Every morning as a kid, before we headed off to school, we would sit and watch Captain Kangaroo. Then it would be off to school. Once I got home, there were three shows on that I never missed. The first was Ultraman, I think, which was followed b Johnnie Sako and his Flying Robot. Then of course came Speed Racer. It was a great lineup of after school television for an 8 year old boy in the 1970/71.

We lived with my grandparents in Akron, in a decidedly ethnic, eastern European neighborhood. Every Sunday, after church, I remember my grandfather would watch the Gene Carroll show, and the Polka Varieties. I faintly remember details of the shows, so I looked them up on YouTube, and sure enough, there there were. It was very nostalgic for me, and I watched and watched. It was kind of cools to see it all alive on the sceen, as if the past 38 years barely happened. Funny how that happens.

But by far, the best memories I have from when I was a kid was watching the Hoolihan and Big Chuck show. It was the best way to spend a late Friday night possible, and it was really the only time I was allowed to stay up late as a kid. the show was a local legend...anyone who grew up the Cleveland area knows all about the show. The sketches were corny and weird...the Kilbasa Kid, the Six Dollar Ethnic Man, Ben Crazy...I could go on and on. And the movies they played were equally corny...old B horror movies from the 50's and 60's. Of all my child hood memories, these are probably the best, and most cherished.









0 comments:

Post a Comment