Thursday, December 31, 2009

Jangle Pop New Years Eve


Last day of the year, and last day of the decade. Ten years ago, I was sitting in a war room, preparing for the world to fall apart because of Y2K. Looking back, I still don't know if it was even a real possibility, or just some scam that was made up to make a lot of money for a lot of people. But if you remember correctly, everything was going to go wrong. Planes falling from the sky, traffic lights not working, ATM machines no longer giving out money, electrical power going out. It was the end of civilization. And none of it happened. In fact, I don't think there was one incident anywhere in the world. Which kind of points to it all being a scam.

For some reason, I remember what I was doing with the passing of the decades. On December 31st, 1979, I was actually babysitting by myself. It was a huge drag, but I was 16, broke, and the money was great. After the kid went to bed at like 9:30, I just kicked back and watched TV. I remember Dick Clark saying that the 80's were going to be a great decade. I think he got that one right! Ten years later, I was in Naples, Italy, in the Navy, watching people throw stuff out the window, walking around drunk. It was a crazy scene to be sure. And then of course, the war room for 1999.

So tonight, I'll celebrate with my wife, at home...finally, after 30 years, I will be at home to celebrate the passing of a decade. A decade I would just rather forget. In years to come, I'm not sure that people will be as nostalgic for this decade as we are for the 80's and 90's. This was a decade that, honestly, the world seems to have gone backwards. I say good riddance. And heres to the teens...may it be a decade to remember! See you all next year!











0 comments:

Post a Comment