Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Trippin' The Underground - Post Punk



Before I begin, I know I kinda skipped over a very important genre, punk 77. No worries, it will get is play. Yesterday was a day of music that I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of, and that I don't know a whole lot about. Glam Rock came along when I was like 11 or 12. But if Glam was a little too early for me, post punk was right in my sweet spot. I turned 16 in 1979, right when the northeast Ohio music scene was in full swing. Bands like Devo, Pere Ubu, Rubber City Rockers, Chrissie Hynde, The Waitresses just to name a few were all over the radio (if you happened to listen to the left of the dial!). And those groups led me to other groups, mainly through record stores. Musically, it was a great time to grow up in NE Ohio. Of course, we also had 20% unemployment, and all the rubber factories were moving our of Akron, but still, the music was HOT!

I purposely chose the first and last bands on the list. While Joy Division may not have invented post punk, they certainly were considered pioneers. After the tragic death of Ian Curtis, Joy Division lived on in the form of New Order. And by the time Love Vigilantes came out, post punk had pretty much morphed almost entirely into new wave. Post punk may have been short lived, but it breathed new life into music, and made a nice transition from punk to new wave. To me, when you talk about real alternative, underground music, post punk is at the top of the list. Yeah, it's that good.

I hope everyone has their shopping done...2 more days to Christmas. Me, I still have gifts to wrap and a card to get for me wife. I really need to stop procrastinating!









1 comments:

Retro Hound said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff!

Post a Comment