Thursday, December 17, 2009

GREAT SONGS FROM THE 00'S, VOL. 1


My sweetspot for music is definitely the 80's and 90's...when it comes to great music from the past 10 years or so, I'm pretty much in the dark. I mean, I know some stuff, so I'm not totally in the dark, but my education into music from the past 10 years is still a work in progress. Part of whats so great about doing a music blog is that is kind of forces you to get back in touch with music, especially music your not real familiar with. Put it this way...try to put on paper 50 great songs, just off the top of your head. Yet, 50 songs is only 10 posts. Now, try 500 songs...a lot tougher to be sure.

So there are some bands that I've run across from the past 10 years that I really enjoy listening to. Periodically, I'll post new volumes to this series, but for now, lets take a look at today's selection. First up is Interpol. Interpol's "Turn On The Bright Lights" is, in my opinion, not only one of the best albums of the past 10 years, it's also one of the best albums I've listened to, period. First, unlike a lot of the newer groups, Interpol actually did an album, not just 2 or 3 "hits" and a lot of filler. Top to bottom, it's a great album, filled with great songs. Forget the whole "their just a Joy Division rip off" crap you hear way too often. These guys bring it on every song.

Next to Interpol, Hot Hot Heat might be the most successful band on the list. I love loud, aggressive, fuzzy guitars, as well as great lyrics. This band brings all that and more. I don't have a lot of of their stuff, but what I have I really like...enough to keep on my iPod. And my iPod isn't a new one, so I don't have a lot of space there!

The rest of the groups here are also well worth listening to. The newer bands I like tend to have a rougher edge and sound to them...bands like The Strokes, Dirty Pretty Things, The Subways...I could go on and on, but lets start with these 5. And we'll go from there!









0 comments:

Post a Comment