Sunday, December 20, 2009

UNDERGROUND WEEKEND, DAY 2


It's Sunday, and I guess that makes the countdown to Christmas official. My fall has been so hectic that I've yet to wrap the gifts I got for my wife. In fact, I don't even know if I've gotten all the gifts I need. Plus the card. Jeez, I forgot the card. It never ends, I swear. At least we did go and take care of something I consider really important. The local stores around here all have these tress where people can put little ornaments with what they would like as a gift written on them. It's for those that are not as fortunate. Now, this is pretty important for one reason...I used to be one of the people who put their names on a tree like this.

I grew up pretty poor...in fact, we were so poor, that the poor kids in school used to be thankful that they weren't us! My mom was a single mother, who struggled to put food on our table. We used to have to get government cheese in the Reagan years, and most holiday meals were delivered to us in a box by the local churches. Same with our presents. So now, all these years later, I am in a position to give back, and it's important to my wife and I make sure that we remember those not as fortunate. The problem is that this year, in Michigan, the need is so huge. We bought more than ever this year...I just hope that for a couple dozen kids, it makes a difference, and someday, they grow up to be able to do the same for someone else.

I'm off to enjoy my last day of vacation. Not that it's been that much of a vacation. I've answered email everyday this past week, and done other work. The only difference is that I'm not spending 10 hours a day on pointless conference calls. I get that pleasure Monday morning. But for now, more naps, movies, and shoveling the sidewalk.

Edit* - I fixed the link to How Soon Is Now. Apologies!









0 comments:

Post a Comment