Friday, December 18, 2009

I LOVE THE 90's VOL 1


Before I go any further with this post, I want to state right now that this series is inspired from the the great series "It Came From The 90's" over at Can You See The Sunset From The Southside. If you've never jumped over there, I would highly recommend it. It's one of my favorite blogs, and the fact that it's written from one of my favorite cities makes it even better. But seriously, that cat has forgotten more about music than I ever knew.

So, in this volume, I included maybe the finest song of the 90's, Common People by Pulp. The lyrics are a blistering attack on the the "have's" who think it's cool to slum with the "have nots". Just take a close listen to the lyrics...it's a song that could have easily been written in the 70's by any number of punk bans. It's definitely Jarvis Cocker's finest moment.

The New Radicals are a little band I got some history with, actually. On New Year's eve, 1998, my wife and I went to see them at the House of Blues. Actually, we went to see three bands...New Radicals, Better Than Ezra, and I can't remember the other band. So anyway, I'm sitting next to some woman, and she's going on and on about Gregg Alexander. Turns out she's his sister. Go figure. Anyhow, she was pretty nice, and we talked about an hour about her brother, and all the struggles he had. All in all, it was a hell of a great night of music. I remember the night like it was yesterday. The next morning, we woke up (we stayed that the HOB hotel), and since the forecast called for some snow, we decided to head home to the burbs. As we left, it a few flakes started coming down. Little did we know that it was the start of the The Blizzard of 1999! Before it was all done a couple days later, there was a couple feet of snow on the ground. That was a pretty brutal winter in Chicago...there were piles of snow 10's of feet high, and I don't think it all melted until the end of April!

Enjoy my little look at the 90's!








0 comments:

Post a Comment