Thursday, December 24, 2009

Trippin' The Underground - New Wave


Happy Christmas Eve. I wish I could say that I get today off, but I don't. Unlike a lot of companies, mine doesn't give us Christmas Eve off. On the other hand, so many people have taken today off for vacation, no one will be around. And since I work from home (at least this week!), I'm pretty sure that the majority of the day today will be spent with my feet propped up on my desk, dozing off and on until early afternoon, at which time, I'll close up my laptop, and be done for the day. And then of course, I am off next week for vacation, so all I can say is "SWEET".

Yesterday, I covered a few post punk songs. I think I commented on how much I love post punk. Well, if I love post punk, and am absolutely head over heels for New Wave! Most of my friends back in high school (I graduated in 1982...crap, I'm getting old!) were heavy metal fans, and got a lot of fun at laughing at me for my musical taste. Of course, now, like the rest of everyone who grew up back then, they claim to be huge new wave fans. Uh huh. Trust me, I know the truth.

What you see here are some of my very favorite tunes from the time. Back in the day, I thought Robbie Grey from Modern English was one of the coolest cats around. I figured if I could be like him, I would be ultimately cool. Unfortunately, I never achieved that level of coolness. What can I say...I was talk, lanky, and the only coordination I had was on the basketball court. No matter...if you want a real treat, go find yourself a copy of their Mesh and Lace album. It's gold, I tell ya, GOLD!









1 comments:

Retro Hound said...

Well, I was into heavy metal in '82, but I also liked New Wave acts like Modern English, Scandal, Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx, The Human League, ABC, etc. Some of those might not be '82, I graduated in '84.

Post a Comment