Wednesday, December 16, 2009

DOING THE DEUCE!


So, this is the second post, and I figured I would throw out a little shoegaze out there from a couple of my favorite shoegaze bands, My Bloody valentine and Curve. One thing that you'll notice is that the bands I post here pretty much all seem to be almost criminally under-rated, and largely ignored by the mainstream, yet, their body of work rivals anything their more popular contemporaries were playing at the time. In my very humble opinion, the Boo Radleys were maybe one of the most ignored bands of all time. Pretty much everything they did really delivered, yet, go into a record store and see what they have there.

Oh wait...there is no such thing as a record store anymore...just Best Buys and Wal-Marts. And God knows, the idiots that stock those store know zero about good music! I long for the days of the independent record stores. Way back in the day, when I was just getting started in the IT field, one of the customers I supported was Rose Records in Chicago. Anyone who walked into a Rose Records, especially their store by the Art Institute, knew they were in a REAL record store. The staff was way knowledgeable about music, and their selection was HUGE! It was like that record store in the movie Empire Records.

On a more personnel note, I started going back to the gym today. Well, actually, it is a weight room in my basement, but I've started to work out. As I mentioned, I work in the IT field as an executive systems engineer. I do a lot of sitting on my ass, talking on the phone, talking to customers, sitting in meetings, sitting on airplanes. Last year, I took 70 flights, mostly from the mid-West to California, but I also spent a couple weeks in Amsterdam. So I did a lot of sitting, and eating in places that server crap food. So this next year, I have two goals...work less (I do 70 hours a week routinely, and that can spike to 90 easily), and get my ass in shape.

I used to do a lot of lifting...in fact, I was once considering calling my blog "The Worlds strongest Geek", but that's in the past. Today showed me just how far I have fallen. I'm pretty sure that tomorrow, I am going to be sore as hell!









1 comments:

Retro Hound said...

I've only recently discovered My Bloody Valentine (probably from your old blog) and I really love them.

Chapterhouse sounds like it's clipping; like it was recorded at too high a volume. But I really love the music. I'll have to look them up.

Great selection, as always.

Post a Comment